tirsdag den 11. marts 2014

The Holiday

The Holiday

It happened a summer. The summer was just like any else – or I thought so, anyway. I was going to Croatia with my mom and dad and their friends, just for a week. We lived in a hotel – 4 stars - and it was good enough for me. Nevertheless, I started being bored because I felt overlooked. Then I met this girl. At first, I didn’t notice her. She was quite ordinary, I think. Brown hair, brown eyes and a nose, that was a bit too big. Then a day, she spontaneously contacted me. It was a simple: “Hello, I’m Abbi,” but I will never forget it. I was surprised at first, but then I smiled and happily introduced myself. Quickly, we became friends. She was such a nice girl with the best kind of humour. The first couple of days we just played around in the pool and jumped on some big trampolines next to the restaurant. Then on the fourth day, she said to me:
“Hey Mia, I’ve got something to show you.”
I smiled, but with knitted brows. “What is it?” I asked, curiously. 
“I can’t show you right now but I promise it’s cool,” she laughed.
It was quite exciting so I also started laughing. Abbi was a really glad and positive girl so I just followed her blindly. 
“Can you tell me what it is?” I knew the answer before I asked, and I was right:
“No Mia, I can’t! Just come with me, it is going to be so awesome!” Abbi was keen; she was about to burst. “Please Mia!”
I gave her a calming hug. “Okay then,” I finally said.
 Sometimes I wonder, what would have happened if I had said no that day. More than likely, I think she would have forced me. She was stubborn as a mule and she always had a convincing argument.
Abbi took my hand and ran in the direction of the football field. I couldn’t do anything but follow her. When she stopped, I was fairly breathless. In spite of that, I smiled like an idiot. 
“Now, tell me what it is!” I insisted.
Abbi gave me an arcane smile and took a cigarette packet out of her bag. My happy face suddenly disappeared. She lighted her cigarette. 
“I bought it in the kiosk – the Croatian people don’t give a damn!” She laughed but I couldn’t even smile.
She noticed it and gave me a hug. “Now, try one Mia! They taste good, actually!”
I shook my head for an answer because I was at a loss for words. I really hate smoking, and I knew that my parents did too.
“Oh come on Mia, don’t be a coward. Everyone at our age has tasted a cigarette!” She looked at me with a decisive face.
I felt really uncomfortable. The cigarette smoke made me feel sick to my stomach.
“I’m disappointed, Mia,” Abbi said, and she actually looked sad. “I thought we should do this together. As friends. But now I see that you’re just a little chicken. Go home to your mum and dad.” 
The words hurt me. Suddenly I felt sorry because it didn’t mean to make her sad. 
“Okay Abbi – one drag doesn’t hurt anyone, does it?” I tried to sound willingly but deep down inside, I knew I was doing something catastrophically wrong.
“Cool spirit, girl!” Abbi said. In no time, she became exaggeratedly happy. 
I smoked my first cigarette – and it tasted grossly! I coughed and spat like a little child eating spinach. 
“The first never tastes good – try one more!” Abbi said to me.
“Sorry, Abbi – it’s getting late, I have to go. But see you soon!” I quickly said and ran away.
My parents discovered it right away due to the smell. They were very disappointed. I told them, that I didn’t mean to do it and that Abbi had pressured me into smoking. Then we had a long talk about how to resist peer pressure and how to be true to who you are. My parents were very understanding and helpful so I felt very lucky. After the talk, I gave them a big hug and felt so much better.
In the evening, I went for a little walk on my own. Next to the pool I saw Abbi with her sister. I tried to avoid her but she yelled my name and waved. “You want to go to the football field again?” she shouted.
“No Abbi, but I want to talk to you,” I answered. I wanted that Abbi should know how I felt about the whole ‘smoking-situation.’ Abbi seemed happy to see me so she ran as fast as she could. 
“What up my favorite girl?” she asked and gave me a friendly hug. I started walking.
“Okay Abbi, you know, that I really like you!” I started, “But earlier on the football field, I felt pretty uncomfortable. I perceived that you pressed me into doing something, I didn’t want to do. I thought we were friends but real friends don’t do things like that.”
A long and unpleasant silence followed my little ‘speech’ but finally Abbi said something:
“I’m sorry, Mia. I’m so so so sorry! I hope you’ll forgive me because you’re one of my first, good friends, and I won’t lose you!” She almost cried and then I gave her a hug.
“It’s all right Abbi!” I comforted her.
Today we aren’t friends anymore but she taught me an important lesson.
Written by
Mathilde M. Kjeldsen

7 kommentarer:

  1. Denne kommentar er fjernet af forfatteren.

    SvarSlet
  2. I think the story is god because it had a god message. It could maby have been between to friends and not a stanger she just meet. It would have made the feelings stronger and a bit more realistic.

    SvarSlet
  3. Weird with with the stranger but else very good and philosphic

    SvarSlet
  4. Mathilde my dear! What a Beautiful story! Credits to you. Why don't you become an author? Anyway, a bit more fun would have sharpened the story. Love your story. An extremely nice vocabulary and writing skills.

    SvarSlet
  5. A really good and long story :-) Like Martin said it had a good message "learn to say no."

    - Liza und Emilia

    SvarSlet
  6. Mathilde, we think that is a really good story. It's very detailed and it's very good written. It also has a good messages :-)
    - Albert and Julie

    SvarSlet